The day has finally arrived; Apple has announced a new stand-alone, feature-loaded, 5K monitor. The Studio Display costs $1,599 to $2,299 for the completely decked-out model. The Studio display is the best computer monitor on the market — in my opinion, and here is why.
I’ve bought several computer monitors this past year. However, I have always found something wrong with the monitors and returned them to the store (sorry, Best Buy).
As a software designer, there are several critical features in a monitor that I need to be at exceptional levels:
- Color accuracy – for design work
- Brightness – for usage in various lightening (day & night)
- Anti-glare screen – prevent eye strain, increase visibility
- Position flexibility – ergonomics, adapt to sitting and standing positions, viewing angles
- Crispness – fine details without fuzzy appearances
It’s challenging to find a monitor that delivers all of these features. Finding one that matches the quality of an iMac and Macbook is nearly impossible. The leading monitors that get close cost upwards of $1,000-$2,000+. Yet, these options do not offer the same viewing experience as a native Apple product. The pain is real until now.
The new Studio Display
This monitor is a creative’s dream come true. The 27in 5k monitor delivers incredible color accuracy, unmatched brightness, an anti-glare screen, etc. But, first, let’s unpack the specs.
Studio Display Specifications
- 27-inch 5K Retina display
- 14.7 million pixels – 5120px x 2800px resolution (218 pixels per inch)
- 600 nits brightness
- Support for 1 billion colors
- Wide color (P3)
- True Tone technology
- Anti-reflective coating
- Nano-texture glass (optional)
- Powered by A13 Bionic chip
- 12MP Ultra-Wide camera with 122° field of view
- ƒ/2.4 aperture
- Center Stage – camera intelligently follows object in focus
- High def six-speaker systems with force canceling woofers
- Wide stereo sound
- Spatial Audio for music and Dolby Atmos for video
- Studio-quality three-mic array with noise reduction & directional beamforming
- “Hey Siri” support
- One USB-C Thunderbolt 3 port – supports charging (96W)
- Three USB-C ports – up to 10GB/s for connecting peripherals, storage, networking
- Standard title-adjustable: −5° to +25°
- Upgrade: Tilt-and-height adjustable stand
- Optional: VESA mount adapter (100 x 100 mm mount)
Because Apple’s A13 Bionic chip powers the Studio Display, center-stage, spatial audio, and “Hey Siri” are made possible. There is no other display on this market like this one.
And while the price-point is pause-worthy, I think Apple priced it very competitively with the jam-packed features. 5K resolution, true tone, sound system, video conferencing technology, there is nothing like it. And to be quite honest, the color capability, 600 nits brightness, and 5k resolution were enough to sell me on this product.
I can’t wait to experience it for myself!